Victoria Park - multiple maintenance issues - Aug 2023
Reported via desktop in the Parks/landscapes category anonymously at 14:37, Wednesday 16 August 2023
Sent to Glasgow City Council less than a minute later. FixMyStreet ref: 4898266.
But a half-hour ‘inspection’ today revealed:
1) There is a small-child ‘friendly’ gap in the southern railings leading to the busy A814. Someone has clearly forced through - to cut across to Haldane St & beyond (hey usually kick in the Victoria Park Drive South railings too). Needs closed asap. And note that the panels either side are loose & need reinforced in consequence.
2) The surrounds of the manhole cover at the pond north-east edge are crumbling - a tripping hazard.
3) The mud slide on the southern path needs removed else someone will have an accident. And the underlying cause remedied.
4) The formal flower & shrub beds are looking fantastic, from a distance. Get up close and they are full of weeds. A shame to go to all that time, money & effort then skimp on necessary maintenance thereafter.
5) Black bin near food stall is full. Clearly needs to be checked & emptied with greater frequency, else increase number of bins and/or capacity.
6) All of the park signage needs cleaned at least. Not much point in signalling something if the signage is then obscured. It also gives a careless impression.
7) The main north entrance to the park remains an embarrassment. Are two empty, neglected, overgrown, former tree rings the best the entirety of the Glasgow City Council and its Parks Dept can manage in 2023 to greet park visitors? Lady Victoria is not amused.
8) The volunteer-planted shrubs on the southern boundary need checked and dead ones culled to allow the many survivors to flourish. (Some look totally dead, others may revive next season).
[Given live-in park managers are no more…who is responsible for routinely checking for such issues in all parks & how often does a pro-active inspection (safety & otherwise) take place? Or like so many other areas of council civic responsibility now, is it a question of sit back and await public reporting, then react? ]
Provide an update